- Courses Taught
- Conflict Management (ComSt 218); Human Communication Theory (ComSt 301); Communication Training and Development (ComSt 319) and other ComSt classes as needed.
- Research Areas
- Instructional communication
Adult learning theory
- PhD: Adult and Extension Education; MA: Interdisciplinary in English, Speech, and Journalism
- I approach my classes from a learner-centered perspective. That means you will learn in collaboration with your colleagues; learning will occur as you apply disciplinary content to solve problems; you will engage in self-reflection in order to assess your learning from these experiences.
- How I Came to Communication Studies
- I’ve always worked with faculty in other disciplines, helping them to integrate communication activities into their classes. The integral connection of communication and their disciplines was a different conceptualization of communication than found in the communication discipline and these faculty were developing communication activities and teaching communication that was not their area of expertise. They were doing a great job but they also needed help. I was hooked!
- Recent Publications
- Vrchota, D.A. (2015). Cross-curricular consulting: How WAC experts can practice adult learning theory to build relationships with disciplinary faculty. The WAC Journal, 26.
Vrchota, D. A. (2015). A view of oral communication in food science from the perspective of a communication researcher. Journal of Food Science education, 14, 36-47. www.ift.org
Vrchota, D. A. & Russell, D. r. (2013). WAC/WID meets CXC/CID: A dialogue between writing studies and communication studies. The WAC Journal, 24, 49-62.
- Current Research
- Vrchota, D. A. (Under review). The Risk takers: The support faculty paricipants in integration initiatives say they really need.”
Vrchota, D. A. “Carpe Facultas! Seize the opportunity! The benefits of working with faculty in other disciplines.” Paper to be presented at the annual convention of the National Communication Association, November 19-22, 2015, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Outside the University
- I enjoy movies and the arts, Zumba, gardening, and my three cats.