Megan Moore (’13 COMST) | Financial Literacy Adviser, ISU

CATEGORIES: Alumni Updates
COMST Alumni Megan Moore

Megan Moore (she/her/hers) graduated in 2013 with a degree in Communication Studies, as well as a certificate in Community Leadership and Public Service (now called Leadership Studies) and a minor in English from Iowa State.

“I can’t believe it’s been almost seven years since I walked the stage at graduation!” Megan said. “Most of my post graduation work life has involved serving our students here at Iowa State. This September will be my sixth year as an adviser on campus in the financial aid office. I started my adventure working in financial aid as an Undergraduate Research Assistant for two years before graduation… [I] will be graduating with my MBA (with a marketing concentration) [at the] end of June 2020.”

When asked about when Megan recognized the value of her Communication Studies coursework, she replied, “COMST 404 [“Capstone”] was a huge personal and professional development opportunity for me. While it was a lot of work with a semester-long project, presenting your research at the end is a very positive and rewarding experience. It’s helped me be prepared for my MBA coursework which requires scholarly research and strong writing skills.”

“My current job requires strong public speaking skills,” continued Megan. “The program definitely prepares you for having the confidence to present to a large group, and using connections to relate to your audience.”

“Go to the career fairs!” Megan tells current students. “This is the single best thing you can do to help prepare and be confident going into the interview process. Take LAS 203 [“Professional Career Preparation”]! It’s only 1 credit and you’ll learn how to professionally write a resume, cover letter, and start your job search.”