Welcome COMST New Faculty, Anthony Peavy!

CATEGORIES: Faculty Focus, News

The Communication Studies Program is excited to welcome our newest faculty member, Anthony Peavy! Anthony is joining the faculty as an Assistant Teaching Professor and will be teaching COMST 301: Human Communication Theory this fall. Anthony received his BA in Communication Studies from the University of Northern Iowa, his MA in Communication Studies from Minnesota State University, Mankato and is rounding out his education by seeking a Ph.D. from the University of New Mexico. Anthony is a native Iowan and here is what he had to say about his journey to becoming a Communication Studies Professor!

I started taking Communication Studies courses during my undergraduate studies and found the topics to be fascinating. As I continued to dive deeper into Communication, it became clear to me that I had a passion for the discipline, and decided to change my major to Communication in my second year of college. It was also during my Communication courses that I decided I wanted to be a teacher, as I was inspired by the way all of my undergraduate professors effectively broadened our understandings of the field and its concepts, while also fostering such inclusive classroom environments.

I have had the opportunity to teach a wide variety of Communication Studies classes and have been fortunate enough to teach these classes to a range of diverse students from across the country. Some of my favorite classes to teach have been Intercultural Communication, Communication Theories, Professional Communication, and Communication Research Methods. As an Intercultural and Critical Mixed Race Studies scholar in the field of Communications, it is not only my passion to teach these classes, but also foster a learning environment conducive to the learning of students from all social and cultural backgrounds.

When I was made aware of this position at Iowa State University, and learned about the Communication Studies Program’s commitment to effectively teaching and learning with diverse student populations, I knew that this was the perfect fit for me. To be able to teach the classes that I love, while also implementing the expertise I have gained through my studies in the field, is an opportunity for which I am forever grateful. I plan to pursue teaching as my forever career, contributing to the discipline by creating new and innovative styles of education and further promoting the importance of inclusivity and diversity in the classroom and the courses we are all a part of.

The faculty and staff in the Communication Studies Program have been amazing at helping me navigate this transition into a new university, and have shown nothing but support and encouragement as I have prepared to begin my adventure at Iowa State. I am excited for what the future has in store for me at this great institution, and I look forward to learning with the students for many years to come.

Welcome, Anthony!