- “A communication studies degree from Iowa State University provides students with a solid bedrock for any job they choose. Research indicates that some 75 percent of all students who earn an undergraduate degree don’t use their degree directly. Our degree program cuts across disciplines, so students are well-rounded.”
- Courses Taught
- Psych 422: Counseling Theories and Techniques (Syllabus)
Psych 621L: Counseling Techniques (Syllabus)
- Ph.D. Counseling Psychology (APA Accredited), University of Florida, August 2000
• Pre-doctoral Internship (APA Accredited), The Ohio State University
• Licensed Psychologist (License # 00936), State of Iowa, August 2002
M.S. Counseling and Counselor Education, Indiana University, August 1996
B.A. Psychology, Indiana University, May 1994
B.A. English and Anthropology, Indiana University, May 1993
- My method of teaching is based on the philosophy that the way to learn is to do and that students should be actively engaged in the learning process. I view teaching and mentoring as a chance to motivate students to learn through discussion and by providing opportunities for them to apply their learning in order to help each student achieve their potential.
- Recent Publications
- Cornish, M. A., Thys, A., Wade, N. G., & Vogel, D. L. (in press). Help-seeking barriers among military veterans: Insights and intervention strategies. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.
Edwards, S. R., & Vogel, D. L. (in press). Young men's likelihood ratings to be sexually aggressive as a function of norms and perceived sexual interest. Psychology of Men and Masculinity.
Lannin, D., Vogel, D. L., Brenner, R. E., & Tucker, J. (in press). Predicting distress and intentions to seek psychological help: The internalized stigma model. The Counseling Psychologist.
Maier, J., Gentile, D., Vogel, D. L., & Kaplan, S. (in press). Media influences on self-stigma of seeking psychological services: The importance of media portrayals and person perception. Psychology of Popular Media Culture.
Vogel, D. L., & Heath, P. (in press). Men, masculinities, and help-seeking patterns. S. R. Wester & J. Wong (Eds.), APA Handbook for the Psychology of Men and Masculinities. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Vogel, D. L., Wester, S. R., Hammer, J. H., & Downing-Matibag, T. (2014). Men’s referring friends and family members to seek help: The influence of gender role conflict and stigma. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 15, 60-67. doi: 10.1037/a0031761
Hammer, J. H., Vogel, D. L., & Heimerdinger-Edwards, S. R. (2013). Men’s help seeking: Examination of differences across community size, education, and income. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 14, 65-75. doi: 10.1037/a0026813.
Vogel, D. L., Armstrong, P. I., Tsai, P-C., Wade, N. G., Hammer, J. H., Efstathiou, G., Holtham, E., Kouvaraki, E., Liao, H-Y., Shechtman, Z., & Topkaya, N. (2013). Cross-cultural validity of the Self-Stigma of Seeking Help (SSOSH) scale: Examination across six countries. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 60, 303-310. doi: 10.1037/a0032055
- Current Research
- Gender and Intimate Relationships
Gender and Diversity Issues in Counseling and Training
Stigma and Other Barriers to Seeking Therapy
- Outside the University
- Outside of school I enjoy spending time with my wife and dogs.